Sunday, June 23, 2013

My...Fellow...Americans...


Good Morning!

What a beautiful day it is! Oh wait....it's been POURING for 3 days straight without stopping. But not to worry for "nothing can stop the work from progressing." Despite the rain and freezing cold, we've had a GREAT week! Miracle filled. I have never been so busy in my entire mission! It's wonderful! Lesson after lesson after lesson, it's hard for me to keep track of who we are teaching! 

We met ________ on Friday.  He is a friend of another investigator the other missionaries are teaching. He is from China and a Christian! You don't see that too often. I talked to him for a little bit and he said he could meet with us Sunday morning before church. He came to our appointment RIGHT on time even though it was raining so hard you could barely see. We taught him the Plan of Salvation, about our purpose here in this life and where we're going afterwards. He is probably the most humble person I've ever met, so willing to learn. He was recently in the hospital for a few weeks. He had a pretty serious condition to where he had to have an operation. He has a scar on his neck and he's been on heavy medication for the last month. He believes in God and Jesus Christ. He said he told his family he was coming to meet with us and they were very happy. We invited him to be baptized next month and he said, "Yes, I know this is what I need to do." He came to all 3 hours of church with us, participated in Sunday School, raising his hand, answering questions, I was impressed. He is amazing, so grateful to have the opportunity to teach him. We have 7 investigators with baptism dates for next month. :) MIRACLE! 

As you may remember, Saturday was baptism day! It was pouring but we all trekked on the train and walked to the chapel. We arrived SOAKING wet, but all smiles. 6 were baptized on Saturday: 3 girls from Thailand, 2 guys from Korea and 1 from Japan. It was wonderful. 

We had our weekly district meeting a few days ago and I'd like to share with you some insights that I received that really helped me. 

As missionaries, we were discussing how we've never felt more guilty than on our missions: guilty for not studying enough, for waking up at 6:34 and not 6:30, haha but there is a quote that says, "The Spirit will comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable."  I have definitely felt that on my mission, whenever I'm getting to comfortable, that guilty but encouraging feeling will come telling me I need to do more, I need to push a little harder, and that is where real growth comes. I'm grateful for the afflicting Spirit, haha. We talked about how "Obedience brings blessings".  We decided what that can really mean is, "Obedience brings knowledge," D&C 93:24-28.  The only thing we take with us to the next life besides our families is the knowledge we obtain here in this life. The only way we can obtain knowledge is through diligence and obedience, D&C 130:18-19. We receive blessings when we obey laws upon which they are predicated, D&C 130:20-21. 

We believe in personal revelation, why do we need revelation? "Salvation cannot come without revelation; it is vain for anyone to minister without it" -Joseph Smith. I hear often people say, "Oh, I just believe in myself." It breaks my heart. They do not understand that without God, without revelation FROM God, they will lose everything that is important to them. If they think they can receive eternal happiness based on the belief they have in themselves, they are wrong. I am so humbled when I think of how much I need to improve, I can ONLY rely on the Lord to help me. In 2 Nephi 25:23, it says for it is only AFTER we have done all the we can, we are saved through the grace of Jesus Christ. Please, don't become comfortable. Have faith in the enabling power of the Atonement, we can change, we can become better, we can become who Heavenly Father wants us to become. I love you all, have a wonderful week!

Love, 
Sister Raitt
On way to baptisms




No comments:

Post a Comment