Sunday, May 19, 2013

Life at 22

GOOODDDMORRNINGGGG! The sun is shining, the tank is clean..the....the TANK IS CLEAN! - Finding Nemo

Hello everyone! How are we? I'm doing great, another wonderful week in the city of Sydney. Thank you so much to everyone who extended birthday wishes to me, I really appreciate it. I had an awesome birthday! I wasn't feeling very well (I'll explain later, and we had a district meeting in the morning.  I walked into the room and there were balloons and decorations everywhere and my whole zone is there yelling, "surprise!"  Then they all sang and we had gluten free cupcakes. It was so nice, I was totally shocked. It was a great ice breaker to everyone I met on the street...."Hello, how are you?  Guess what, today's my birthday!"  Haha, they loved it. We had a few lessons later on in the evening, when our two new investigators from China bought me a stuffed pig and a stuffed koala for my birthday, so random but they are awesome. We had game night later in the evening with the ward and our investigators.  A lady in our ward asked me to come help her with something and when i walked in the room, again, the entire ward and all the missionaries were all wearing party hats and had noise makers and said, "surprise!", more cake...more fun. I am so spoiled. We all went out to dinner afterward to a Thai restaurant, my favorite. Such a great day, thank you EVERYONE!!

The work is going great right now, we are teaching people from China, Thailand, Brazil, Hong Kong....I love it. We have 4 baptismal dates lined up, they are all progressing really well. Everyday I talk to new people, they are so happy to learn. We should be meeting with a guy from Nigeria this week and another from Japan. I'm so excited! Our English classes have been really successful, in fact, I'll share a quick funny story. Since it's a reading/writing class, the topic was "foods" so we asked them to write a paragraph describing their favorite meal. So there's this guy, ________, in our class, he's like 60, but we break up in groups to share what we wrote and every one's English is pretty basic.  They struggle putting together sentences, but not ________. He wrote a really advanced paragraph on...milk. Haha, it's his favorite food because of the amino acids and the proteins which are formed in the mammary glands...etc. I wasn't following, he was way above me when it came to milk. But it was pretty amusing. He also asked if it would be possible for one of us to interpret his dream.  I debated saying that I could, but I told him it's just an English class, we don't interpret dreams. I love English class though, it's a blast. We were teaching the difference between appropriate and inappropriate questions, so I would demonstrate, "Sister Stevens, how much to you weigh?  Okay class, now that would be inappropriate." We had a lot of fun. Can't wait for this week, the topic is hygiene. :)

I mentioned I wasn't feeling well. I've had a cough for a few weeks, kept getting worse. After seeing the doctor, it was confirmed that I have a chest infection. I also had some pain in my ribs, looks like I also fractured a rib from coughing so violently for so long. Needless to say, I'm on painkillers and antibiotics. I'm hoping for a quick recovery, there's so much work to be done, no time for coughing. But it was nice, we got to spend a lot of time in the teaching center just teaching lessons, I love teaching, it's been a great week. 

Sorry this email has been a little all over the place, don't judge me, I'm a little short on time today. I hope you all have a wonderful week, I have no doubt in my mind this church is true, the miracles I see everyday just confirm this to me. I'm grateful to be here right now serving the Lord, Jesus Christ, I know that He lives. 

Love you,

Sister Raitt







No comments:

Post a Comment